It’s summertime and it’s spectacular outside! Well, some of us our blessed enough to live in Los Angeles, where the weather is generally great all the time. So, it should come as no surprise that Los Angeles regularly offers a ton of outdoor yoga classes all year round…and many of them are of little or no cost. We list out our top 10 favorites ones here for you. Grab your mat and sunscreen and hit up one this weekend!
10) Yoga on the Pier: Meet at 8am Saturday Mornings under the Santa Monica Pier sign at the top of the ramp on Colorado and Ocean for a 2-5 mile run around the beach and pier. At 9am, yoga class commences at the far west end of the pier. Running and yoga all right by the ocean? And it’s all FREE? Yes, please!
9) Sherman Oaks Mommy & Me Yoga Meetup: Mommies and kiddos meet up here to “work it out”. Mom’s enjoy a Vinyasa flow class combined with restorative poses, babes have a ball pit, bubbles, toys, and more.
8) FREE Yoga at Marina Del Rey Hospital: Chakra 5 instructor Lewis Victor leads a weekly yoga class on Tuesdays at 5:30pm at Marina Del Rey Hospital. Classes are held in the private, enclosed patio within hospital grounds. Handy online registration and parking validation. Be sure to get there a bit early as classes are growing bigger every week.
7) Outdoor Yoga @ Silverlake Reservoir Meadow Park in Los Angeles: Stefani Manger leads a weekly 1 hour Mixed Level Vinyasa Flow yoga class outdoors on the grassy field at the Silverlake Reservoir for just $5.
6) Y.E.P.: Yoga @ Echo Park: These classes are 70 minute vinyasa flow taught by a certified yoga instructorand are designed for all levels. YEP meets at the heart of the newly renovated Echo Park Lake, in the large grass area in the center of the park. Parking is free around the park, but be aware of signs for street cleaning.
5) Yoga Bunny Outdoor Yoga: This free beach class has been in the same location for over 25 years at Hurricane Street and the sand in Marina del Rey, CA. It’s a 75 minute yoga class, beginning at 9:30am every Saturday. Perfect if you like the beach, want to participate in a meditation and yoga practice, and be a part of a wonderful community of men and women ranging from 20s – 70s. And get this: every class is streamed live so students that can’t make it or don’t live in town are able to join.
4) Griffith Park Yoga:Griffith Park Yoga is an all level donation outdoor yoga class (suggested donation is $10). Jewel Greenberg is a 500 RYT with experience teaching alignment-based vinyasa flow to practitioners of all ages, sizes and experience levels. Griffith Park is a perfect location: beautiful surroundings, free parking, and the Fern Dell path and Trails Café are close enough to walk to before or after class.
3) Garden Yoga Classes at Liberation Yoga: If you can’t quite get away from the urbane and out to the parks or beaches, Liberation Yoga (mid-city on La Brea Ave) has classes in a lovely outdoor garden where you can practice with the breeze blowing in your hair. Check the schedule for classes labeled (Garden).
2) Kundalini Yoga in the Canyon: You’re not completely exposed to the outdoors in these classes, but this class is one of our very favorite experiences in Los Angeles. Imagine practicing in a laage, open space with high ceilings, surrounded by nine french doors on three sides, while the exhilirating and unique nature of Topanga Canyon surrounds you. All the beauty of Topanga without a sunburn!
1) Yoga at Runyon Canyon: You’ve probably seen classes going on in the background of a few movies. Hike down into the bottom of Runyon Canyon and enjoy an inspiring yoga class, immersed in nature. We especially recommend class with our friend, Daniel Overberg of Black Market Yoga.